[Product-Developers] Collective etiquette

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 21:01:56 UTC 2011

On 11 Jun 2011, at 21:41, "Michael A. Smith" <msmith64 at zimbra.naz.edu> wrote:

> Hi, I have a couple of quick patches I was thinking about submitting to a collective project that is not my own, and I wanted to get your thoughts on the etiquette of the collective.
>
> 1. I've already committed some whitespace-consistency, spelling, and syntax-error fixes that were preventing the HEAD revision from running on a couple of projects. No-one has complained, but did I cross a line? (I hope not, but it only occurred to me that that might not be appreciated after the fact.)

The Collective repo is just that. The whole point is that we all contribute.

I'd you want to make functional changes it may be good to make contact with the principal author, but no one should be too precious about this,

> 2. What constitutes an abandoned/languishing project? Take collective.ckeditor, which hasn't been touched in 9 mo. Its listed owner is Ingeniweb, which seems to have been replaced by Alter Way, which in turn doesn't seem to do Zope afaict. Is this project "fair game"? (I'm not saying I want to take it over, necessarily, but talking in generalities.)

Yes.

> 3. For our own projects, is there some standard way we (as collective.X product "owners") can signal to other collective contributors whether or not we would welcome commits to trunk?

Don't put the package in the Collective? Some packages have contribution docs with guidance, but it's usually pretty lax.

Martin