[Product-Developers] Transform preview

Michael A. Smith msmith64 at zimbra.naz.edu
Mon Jun 6 15:20:33 UTC 2011

Extremely alpha, consider it a PoC: http://svn.plone.org/svn/collective/collective.markitup/

Actually the switch to a given markup language is handled entirely by Plone (@@markup-controlpanel) and I'm doing my best not to mess with that. If you select MarkItUp as your editor you can continue to edit bare HTML, only with a WYSIWYM preview option. If you switch the type of the given document to Markdown, I'd like MarkItUp to automatically switch the preview type. I think I can do that.

I've written a naive view at context/@@transform_preview that'll just render any Markdown you POST to it. It'll do for testing, but can I be sure it's secure? (It requires cmf.ModifyPortalContent and uses Products.PortalTransforms.)

MarkItUp! has a packs for Markdown, Textile, ReStructuredText and other languages. Once I have figured out how to elegantly include various markups, I'll do so.

Best wishes,
Michael A. Smith
Web & Digital / Academic Technologies Manager
Nazareth College

----- "Matt Barkau" <rmb46 at psu.edu> wrote:
> In your case, are there possible scenarios where a user will visit a page done in HTML, and edit in Markdown?
> If so, are you planning to do some sort of warning saying, "Some formatting may be lost."?
>

> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 9:42 AM, Matt Barkau < rmb46 at psu.edu > wrote:

Cool!
> I'd love to see how this develops. Where would I follow your blog posts about this?
> Thanks!

I'm working on a product to integrate MarkItUp, a WYSIWYM editor, into Plone. For previewing transformations of formats like Markdown, rst, Textile, etc, it can make an AJAX request and use the server response if the server can do a barebones rendering of the transform-to-HTML.