[Product-Developers] Offline bootstrap.py

Alex Clark aclark at aclark.net
Thu Jul 28 11:20:56 UTC 2011

On 7/28/11 4:53 AM, Gilles Lenfant wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is perhaps not the most suited ML for asking such question. I'm in a situation where I need to install a Plone in a windows platform that has no access to the internet.
>
> I unzip a tarball that has the buildout space, including all eggs, such it **could** work with "bin\buildout.exe -nO -c production.cfg", but the bootstrap.py always tries to grab eggs **that are already in $BUILDOUT/eggs** from the internet.
>
> The other solution consists in changing all the paths in bin\buildout script such it matches the installation path for various eggs. I need to change stuffs in parts\buildout\site.py too in various places. Perhaps I'm missing something.
>
> Is there an automated way to run the bootstrap.py with no connection to the internet ?
>
> Thanks by advance for any hint.

You might try wgetting the source distributions from:

* http://dist.plone.org/release/4.1/

to a local dir e.g. /tmp/foo. And then adding a find-link to it e.g.

   [buildout]
   …
   find-links = file:///tmp/foo

I've not tried this recently, but it or something like it should work.
Otherwise, I'd edit the bootstrap.py to "fool" it into looking for
file:/// instead of http (I think I've done that once.)

Also, doesn't the Unified Installer already do this, or something like it?

[time passes]

Oh I see, Steve does this:

http://dev.plone.org/plone/browser/Installers/UnifiedInstaller/trunk/helper_scripts/create_instance.py#L169

Alex