[Product-Developers] ZopeSkel plone4_buildout and deprecation warning

Alex Clark aclark at aclark.net
Thu Feb 24 00:44:14 UTC 2011

On 2/23/11 8:24 AM, Johannes Raggam wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 10:50 -0800, cewing wrote:
>>
>> Maurits van Rees-3 wrote:
>>>

>>> This says that with the standard installer you still get a
>>> buildout-based setup.
>>>
>>> For non-developers that probably is a better start; they will get a
>>> standard buildout setup and can tweak the buildout.cfg for minor changes.
>>>

>> precisely.  Thanks, Maurits.  That's exactly what we are trying to say.  Can
>> it be clearer?  Nicer?  Sure.  Any suggestions as to how??  Let me know.
>
> thanks for clarification! maybe we can add something like "if you are
> not a developer, than...". well, next time, i'm working on the
> tutorial-article where i want to use ZopeSkel, i'll think of something.

As someone who has hated this message since day 1, I'll take a stab. How
about just a few minor changes and snips like this:

**   *** NOTE: This template is for developers.

**  If you just want to install Plone, the preferred way to get a
**  buildout-based setup for Plone is to use the standard installer for
**  your operating system (the Windows installer, the Mac installer, or
**  the Unified
**  Installer for Linux/Unix/BSD). These give you a best-practice,
**  widely-used setup with an isolated Python and a well-documented
**  buildout.

Alex

Alex Clark · http://aclark.net/help-me-help-plone