[Product-Developers] ZopeSkel plone4_buildout and deprecation warning

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Mon Feb 21 10:12:40 UTC 2011

Op 20-02-11 23:20, Johannes Raggam schreef:
> hi all,
>
> why is the plone4_buildout template's wizard warning that the install
> method via buildout is out of date, since plone 3.1?
>
> in my point of view, that's nonsense. before plone3.1 buildout was
> rarely used und nowadays its the *very best way* to install plone - at
> least on linux.
>
> thats what
>    $ paster create -t plone4_buildout
> is saying:

> **   *** NOTE: You probably don't want to use this template!
>
> **  Since Plone 3.1, the preferred way to get a buildout-based setup
> **  for Plone is to use the standard installer for your operating
> **  system

This says that with the standard installer you still get a
buildout-based setup.

For non-developers that probably is a better start; they will get a
standard buildout setup and can tweak the buildout.cfg for minor changes.

As developer I myself would still create a plone4_buildout with Paster.
  Or actually I use a company internal paster template to create a new
client project; but for quick tests I certainly use the plone4_buldout
(or plone3_buildout) templates from ZopeSkel.

--
Maurits van Rees
Web App Programmer at Zest Software: http://zestsoftware.nl