[Product-Developers] Inline Comments in XDV

Mikko Ohtamaa mikko+plone at redinnovation.com
Thu Feb 17 20:13:28 UTC 2011

Chris Heiland wrote:

> I totally get conditional comments. However, we need a way to comment
> our xsl transforms inline as some can reach 80-100 lines. We really
> don't want these comments to reach the general public. Can you think
> of anything we could do here?

This problem is not limited to XDV, but bugs every XML based template etc.
language out there (TAL with Plone).

No one is going to use comment if you need to type <tal:comment
replace="nothing">This is a comment</tal:comment> - boilerplate is longer
than the actual comment. XML comments is the natural way to comment XML.

So I suggest...

<!-- This would be a comment filtered out -->

<!--- This would be a comment appearing in output  -->

The default behavior of XML comment would be *not* to appear in output, so
that commenting your code is made simple as possible.

... Can XML parsers and transformers can do it?

-----

http://twitter.com/moo9000 Follow me in Twitter

Download mFabrik News for  http://bit.ly/mfabrikitunessignaturemoo iPhone
or  http://bit.ly/mfabrikandroidsignaturemoo Android