[Product-Developers] migrating portlets from 2.5 to 3

Jon Stahl jonstahl at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 18:08:20 UTC 2011

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 5:47 AM, Joe Bigler <jeb6 at psu.edu> wrote:

> We are migrating from Plone 2.5.3 to Plone 4.  We used a lot of Smart
> Portlets for news and events.  What I am looking at is, removing the Smart
> Portlets, uninstalling the Smart Portlets product, migrating the data.fs to
> Plone 4 and then adding in Collection portlets.  Is there an easier way?

While it is theoretically be possible to write a migration script that
would iterate over your Smart Portlets and convert them into
Collection portlets, it's probably not worth the effort to do so,
unless you have more than a few dozen and are pretty adept with
writing migration scripts. Smart Portlets were never part of Plone
core, so they are not part of our built-in migration routines and I
don't think that whoever wrote Smart Portlets bothered to write any
sort of forward-migration script.

:jon