[Product-Developers] Reinstall breaks intids utility

David Glick davidglick at groundwire.org
Thu Dec 29 05:24:32 UTC 2011

On 12/18/11 2:52 AM, Mike Metcalfe wrote:
Hi,

I'm using intids for references with p.a.dexterity 1.1 and plone 4.1.3. When I reinstall my product (which depends on Dexterity) my intids utility gets destroyed as in issue 239<http://code.google.com/p/dexterity/issues/detail?id=239>. I see the fix to the issue (adding <five:registerPackage package="." /> to dexterity's configure.zcml) is in 1.1 but I still loose the intids on reinstall. Am I missing something or must I reopen the issue?

The fix was not adding the registerPackage, but adding a beforeUninstall method in Extensions.py that prevents utilities from being automatically uninstalled: https://github.com/plone/plone.app.dexterity/commit/68eb9b32faf2ef4607a9cb2c89403ff27414cfe9

However my guess is that if your product is depending on Dexterity, the installation of the intids utility gets recorded under your product in the quickinstaller rather than under Dexterity, so suppressing the uninstallation of the Dexterity-associated utilities doesn't help at all.

I'd love to see a fix to prevent this problem but I'm at a bit of a loss. Any suggestions, anyone?

David

David Glick
Web Developer
davidglick at groundwireconsulting.com