[Product-Developers] What are the requirements to get an upgrade button in the Add/Remove Products panel

Derek Broughton auspex at pointerstop.ca
Mon Dec 5 14:24:49 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 6:29 AM, Jean-Michel FRANCOIS <toutpt at gmail.com>wrote:

> I have asking this to be sure your upgradestep was working, it is a
> requirement to get the button.

As I've said, repeatedly, I can perform the upgrade through the
portal_setup tool.  What I wanted to know is what else is needed to  make
Plone's Add/Remove products panel recognize that there's an upgrade.  We
really don't want our site admins to have to use the ZMI.  Interestingly,
you only just upgraded the documentation to say that the version numbers
should be integers (and they weren't in the previous version) and it says
_nothing_ about upgrades using the Plone control panel - only using
portal_setup!

Next, matching setup profile version == package version also mean every
> release need an upgrade step.

Nobody suggested that the relationship needs to be reflexive.  Plone's own
numbering system isn't sequential (or at least wasn't until after 4.0a -
perhaps it is now).  There isn't, and doesn't have to be, a profile version
for every package version.   Whether you use integers or strings, the
profile version can skip values used in the package version.

I know I don't want that. And how do you manage people who are using
> trunk/master ? But it's quite off topic.

It's a topic you introduced. Unfortunately I'm not sure I have a clue what
you mean, but it's probably related to:

> I guess AGX respect Plone3, so it doesn't add metadata.xml. you should add
> it by yourself.

You'd guess wrong.  It _does_ create the metadata.xml file (while certainly
respecting Plone 3 & 4) - which is why I would rather not bother with
integer values unless I have to.  AGX creates a version tag
like <version>1.0-rc3.725</version>, where 1.0-rc3 is carried over from the
prior version of the file and 725 is my svn commit number.  It looks like
whatever I put in metadata.xml, the result will be a three part
dot-separated value.

> I can't immediately figure out what release version of Plone that would
> have been.
> Yoy should not care about this, just care about what happens to my data.

That's like saying "never mind what it does, just apply this security
patch"!  Of _course_ admins should care what version of a package installs
various modifications to the system.  Especially, because so many upgrades
are only described as "general upgrade step" or something similar.
--
derek