[Product-Developers] What are the requirements to get an upgrade button in the Add/Remove Products panel

derek auspex at pointerstop.ca
Sat Dec 3 17:03:57 UTC 2011

On Dec 2, 12:29 pm, Jean-Michel FRANCOIS <tou... at gmail.com> wrote:
> You have to know this version has nothing to do with the version of the
> setup.py. It is just a version of install and used to know if we have to
> migrate data.

Of COURSE I know that.  Isn't it clear that I DO know how to make a
Generic setup upgrade work, because I can execute the upgrade via
portal_setup?

> Package versionning is quite different. It show if it is stable (alpha
> beta, 0.1, 1.0, ...) Some people are using three digits, other only two;
>
> So the question comes to: why not using integer ?

Simple.  ArchGenXML isn't creating the metadata.xml with an integer
value.  I'll override AGX's value if I have to, I was simply curious
why it was necessary.  In any case, I disagree that package versioning
is "quite different"; I find it very convenient to have the metadata
versions match specific package versions.

> it is far more easy to compare integers than 0.1, 0.1a, 0.1dev etc ...

but it's not!  Testing "0.1" < "0.1a" is difficult.  Testing "0.1" !=
"0.1a" is easy - and since portal_setup merely wants to know what
version I'm upgrading from and what version I'm upgrading to, it's NOT
difficult.  Which portal_setup proves by happily providing me with
upgrades to my non-integer versions.  Given that Plone only moved to
using integer values after 4.0a3, even the Plone developers don't seem
to have decided integers were a good idea until very recently.
Personally I find it confusing, and sometimes annoying, when the setup
tool shows me a specific upgrade happening at version (e.g.) 4110, and
I can't immediately figure out what release version of Plone that
would have been.