[Product-Developers] What are the requirements to get an upgrade button in the Add/Remove Products panel

derek auspex at pointerstop.ca
Fri Dec 2 14:40:29 UTC 2011

I was under the impression that Plone would show an "Upgrade" button
for any product whose installed metadata version was < the metadata
version on the filesystem, and for which there was a Generic Setup
upgrade step whose "source" and "destination" tags matched: ie,
upgrade steps that would be shown automatically in /portal_setup/
manage_upgrades.

Unfortunately, I have never yet got Plone to show me that button, and
I always have to go to the portal_setup tool.  So what else is needed
for Plone to recognize that I have an update available?
--
derek