[Product-Developers] showing the folder order in a collection?

ken manheimer ken.manheimer at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 22:57:10 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 11:21 AM, ken manheimer <ken.manheimer at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 4:25 AM, Raphael Ritz <r.ritz at biologie.hu-berlin.de
> > wrote:
>
>> On 8/2/11 12:42 AM, ken manheimer wrote:
>>
>>> i've wanted for a long time to be able to show the contents of a folder,
>>> ordered as they would be in the folder, along with some text describing
>>> each item, plus some rich text above describing the folder, as a whole.
>>>  there is a number of combinations of various facilities that come
>>> close to providing this simple arrangement, but fail in tantalizing
>>> ways.  have i missed something?
>>>

>> maybe ;-)
>>
>> The catalog does now about order in a folder through the
>>
>>  getObjPositionInParent
>>
>> index. In case that's not available for sorting in a
>> collection (I didn't check) you can enable it in
>>
>>  <site>/portal_atct/atct_**manageTopicIndex
>>
>> Is that what you are looking for?
>>

> yes, it looks like exactly what i'm seeking.  (gil forcada's suggestion
> about using a custom folder display view is excellent, too.  maybe i just
> need to read martin aspelli's book?)  i'm running into problems getting it
> working, and have to investigate further.

alas, this turns out to be a false lead.  the collections configlet doesn't
offer any way to change the selection of criteria for *sort order*.  it only
offers ways to change the indexes to be used for collection *searching* and
*field display*.

(moreover, adding getObjPositionInParent/'Order in folder' to the search
criteria doesn't actually add an "Order in folder" option in the collection
"Add new search criteria" menu!  the getObjPositionInParent has no "Allowed
Criteria", so there's nothing by which to qualify and disqualify items in
the search.  hence, the option is filtered out in the selection form.  it
probably should be filtered out from the "All fields" alternatives in the
collection configlet, as well.)

still, i appreciate the suggestion - i learned something about ways to
adjust collection knobs (and limitations on those ways).  i may be better
off with a custom "display" view for a folder - except i have doubts that'll
be trivial, because it requires something to hold and edit the rich text i
want to include, and that's not part of a folder.  aargh again.

it's looking, once again, like the built-in types do not provide for my
desired, basic use case, even by tailoring custom views...

ken