[Product-Developers] Releasing plugins to pypi AND plone.org

Alex Clark aclark at aclark.net
Wed Apr 6 19:04:27 UTC 2011

On 4/5/11 10:55 AM, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> On 4/5/11 16:47 , Gilles Lenfant wrote:

>>> That is trivially fixed by requesting a Plone classifier in pypi.
>>
>> What about "user management", "media", "themes", "fields and widgets"
>> and other Plone (or more generally CMS) field classifiers. Most are
>> not on Pypi classifiers.
>
> You could use keywords. But I think you misunderstand the idea. What I
> had in mind (and it was just a quick thought thrown out) is something
> like this:
>
> * developer create software, submits to pypi where all python software
> lives
> * plone.org admin or develop himself wants software to appear on
> plone.org, so creates a product in plone.org/products, selects the
> 'pull updates from pypi' checkbox and enters the distribution name

+1, that way we can gradually phase out hosting packages @ plone.org if
we want to.

BUT, I suggest we 1.) keep all the "PyPI features" in place and 2.)
implement some PSC specific metadata such that following will be possible:

- Set additional metadata in setup.py like screenshot image, Plone
version compat,

- Check the "pull updates from pypi" box automatically.

I don't ever want to go back to manually creating content on Plone.org…

(perhaps
http://packages.python.org/distribute/pkg_resources.html?highlight=metadata#metadata-api
can help with this)

Alex