[Product-Developers] Releasing plugins to pypi AND plone.org

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Tue Apr 5 14:55:10 UTC 2011

On 4/5/11 16:47 , Gilles Lenfant wrote:
> Le 5 avr. 2011 à 14:17, Wichert Akkerman a écrit :
>
>> On 4/5/11 14:11 , Gilles Lenfant wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Advocating to publish new releases and components to plone.org for these two main reasons :
>>>
>>> * There's no Plone specific component categorization in Pypi. Searching in Pypi is somehow spartan.
>>
>> That is trivially fixed by requesting a Plone classifier in pypi.
>
> What about "user management", "media", "themes", "fields and widgets" and other Plone (or more generally CMS) field classifiers. Most are not on Pypi classifiers.

You could use keywords. But I think you misunderstand the idea. What I
had in mind (and it was just a quick thought thrown out) is something
like this:

* developer create software, submits to pypi where all python software
   lives
* plone.org admin or develop himself wants software to appear on
   plone.org, so creates a product in plone.org/products, selects the
   'pull updates from pypi' checkbox and enters the distribution name

at that point plone.org can fully automatically receive updates from
pypi and show them on plone.org. I did not suggest that plone.org would
somehow automatically discover things on pypi - just that it would be
nice if it was possible if you could link a plone.org product with a
package on pypi and have plone.org pull updates from pypi.

> Publishing to plone.org is just a line for me :
>
> $ python2.6 setup.py register sdist upload -r plone-org
>
> ... With appropriate words in my ~/.pypirc file. Then just some clicks to mark the Plone 3/4 compatibility.

I know it is. Fact remains that people still do not seem to upload to
plone.org even now that uploading is that simple.

Wichert.