[Product-Developers] Releasing plugins to pypi AND plone.org

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Mon Apr 4 12:07:47 UTC 2011

Op 04-04-11 06:27, Dylan Jay schreef:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed a lot of plugins these days have newer releases on pypi than
> on plone.org.
> This becomes a pain for experienced people has we have to search both
> places to see if there are updates. It becomes off putting for newbies
> as they will look at plone.org and see much fewer plone 4 compatible
> releases than there are in reality due to the filtering. In addition
> they see a big warning flag saying the product is potentially not
> supported anymore if there was been no plone.org release in a year.
>
> I suspect part of the reason for this is that tools like jarn.mkrelease
> are getting more popular. Once you release once in mkrelease it doesn't
> let you release again to another server without playing with its settings.
>
> You can get round this by specifying two index servers
>
> mkrelease -d pypi -d plone.org src/mypackage
>
> I'm pretty sure you can also do something like this
>
> mkrelease -d pypi src/mypackage
> mkrelease --no-tag -d plone.org src/mypackage
>
> or is there another reason why plone.org/products aren't being updated?

Plug: zest.releaser can upload to pypi and plone.org (or other servers)
as well. :-)

I usually register and upload my plone packages to both pypi and
plone.org using zest.releaser.  Currently after upload you should do one
thing manually on plone.org though for each release.  You should edit
the release to select which Plone versions the release is compatible
with.  Then there are some required fields that you should fill in as
well or you can't save your changes (at least the summary field is
required I think, which you should probably just copy from the main
page).  It's a bit of a hassle, though it's not that time consuming.

Also, there used to be some permission problems that meant that giving
other users all roles in the Sharing tab was not enough to give them
permission to do uploads; I think that was fixed a month or two ago though.

--
Maurits van Rees
Web App Programmer at Zest Software: http://zestsoftware.nl