[Product-Developers] Releasing plugins to pypi AND plone.org

Luca Fabbri luca at keul.it
Mon Apr 4 08:12:21 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 9:09 AM, Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net> wrote:
> On 4/4/11 06:27 , Dylan Jay wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I noticed a lot of plugins these days have newer releases on pypi than
>> on plone.org.
>> This becomes a pain for experienced people has we have to search both
>> places to see if there are updates.
>
> Personally I never even look at plone.org anymore - pypi is where all python
> software is, and often you need both plone and non-plone things and having a
> single place for both is convenient.

I wrote about it recently... you are right, I do the same and maybe
80% of this list do the same, but it's wrong thinking that a new Plone
users will know this and think "oh, now I need to search on pypi" when
plone.org has a "Download products" section.
Its very difficult to explain this to users when we make Plone
training. The taste is "Plone is complicated".

> Maybe plone.org should use the pypi API to scrape packages with a Plone
> classifier and instead of requiring double uploads.

This can be good, but for me something must be done. Maybe also remove
completely the Products section on plone.org can be good, and make
specific links for search on pypi for new Plone products.

--
-- luca