[Product-Developers] Re: Package versions, Plone 3, Plone 4

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Fri Mar 19 09:17:57 UTC 2010

Op 18-03-10 17:58, Radim Novotny schreef:
> I've tried to add Poi to Plone 3.3.5 instance and run buildout:
>
> Getting distribution for 'Products.Poi'.
> Got Products.Poi 2.0a1.
> Getting distribution for 'collective.watcherlist>=0.2'.
> Got collective.watcherlist 0.2.
> While:
> Installing instance.
> Error: There is a version conflict.
> We already have: Plone 3.3.5
> but Products.Poi 2.0a1 requires 'Plone>=4.0a1'.
>

> That is not so bad, but user may be confused. What should BFU do in this
> situation? Go to product page and read comaptibility matrix? Moreover,
> PyPI does not list older releases :( so it is not so easy to find
> available versions (except changelog)

Acutally, pypi *can* list older releases.  The Poi page currently lists
1.2.8 and 2.0a1: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Products.Poi

By default I think it simply shows the most recently uploaded/registered
release.  But you can login to pypi, click on your package and select
which releases to show, which is what I did for Poi.  In the case of Poi
the page is:
http://pypi.python.org/pypi?%3Aaction=pkg_edit&name=Products.Poi

Indeed, that page says "By default, each new release will hide all other
release from the regular display."  But there is now an extra button on
that page: 'Auto-hide old releases'.  I'll uncheck that for Poi and see
what happens with newer releases.

If you publish your package on plone.org as well, the releases are more
clear.  http://plone.org/products/poi/ shows 1.2.8, and show 2.0a1 as
experimental release in a portlet.

Maurits