[Product-Developers] Re: Package versions, Plone 3, Plone 4

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Thu Mar 18 16:22:05 UTC 2010

Op 18-03-10 16:17, Radim Novotny schreef:
> 2) separate versions for Plone 3 and Plone 4 - for example: I want to
> release the same package for Plone 3 only and for Plone 4 only. How
> should I declare dependencies ? How should I tell users my.package 1.x
> is for Plone 3 and 2.x for Plone 4 only ?

What I did for Poi is this:

- Branch 1.2 is for Plone 3.  It does not list Plone as its dependency,
because that would not work well for people using Plone 3.0 or 3.1:
Plone only became an egg starting with Plone 3.2.

- Trunk (2.0, first alpha release is out) is targeting Plone 4 only.  It
has 'Plone>=4.0a1' in its install_requires.  This avoids getting Poi 2
in a Plone 3 site, which would only cause pain.

Maurits