[Product-Developers] Re: .mo files best practices?

Mikko Ohtamaa mikko+plone at redinnovation.com
Wed Jan 27 05:45:47 UTC 2010

Encolpe Degoute-4 wrote:

>> Questions regarding .mo files (compiled .po files)
>>
>> - Should these files be committed to version control repository (SVN)
>
> Never.
>
>> - When Plone automatically (re)generates these files?
>
> At startup time.

Great. I was just asking because there has been a lot of confusion how old
style i18n and new style locales gettext folder structure works across Plone
versions. I am not sure whether locales folder .po files required manual
compiling as there were lots of deprecated information around the internet.

Also one concern is broken .po files. Is it possible to make Plone abort the
launch in the debug mode if it encounters broken .po while compiling it?
Like what Zope does for not importable modules in the debug mode.

-Mikko