[Product-Developers] Ploneboard and Email Notification Questions

Jon Stahl jonstahl at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 21:28:42 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 11:00 AM, jmoy <jmoy at paychex.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Firstly, is Ploneboard still supported? There seem to be no new releases
> since March 2008 (http://plone.org/products/ploneboard)

Ploneboard is stable, has no (known) major bugs, and most would say it
is the "best of breed" forum product for Plone.  It's in active use by
quite a few sites, but at the same time, it's not being actively
developed at this time.  So I wouldn't expect an ongoing stream of
continual improvements/releases, although there are occasional
checkins.  Of course, this could change at any time, if someone comes
along who wants to put time/energy or money into it.

> Secondly, is there some sort of e-mail notification system that can be tied
> in with Ploneboard?  I'd like it if users were able to subscribe to
> particular forums and when new discussions were posted on those forums they
> would receive an e-mail. If this feature is not available, is there any
> forum alternative?

Plone has a very powerful built-in "content rules" feature that can do
email notifications of various sorts.   (Ploneboard actually predates
this slightly.)  But, you can use it to easily wire up most common
email notification scenarios into Ploneboard.  Some more advanced
scenarios might require a little programming.

best,
jon