[Product-Developers] Re: Correct way to use paster with buildout?

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Fri Feb 12 08:34:01 UTC 2010

On 2010-2-12 00:39, Alex Clark wrote:
> On 2010-02-11, David Glick<davidglick at groundwire.org>  wrote:
>> I have always had trouble with this ZopeSkel paster_plugin when I add
>> dependencies to my product using install_requires -- buildout ends up
>> trying to install the dependencies within my development egg, rather
>> than where they're supposed to go, and ends up getting confused.  So I
>> always just delete the ZopeSkel paster_plugin. I'm not sure what it's
>> there for.
>
> Ah right, that's the issue. Well, I *think* it's what facilitates the locals commands e.g.
> 'paster addcontent' and such. But I'm not sure, never looked at the code.

Correct. And buildout environments don't support that, so here is a
trick you can use with buildout to make that work:

[mypetproject]
recipe = zc.recipe.egg
dependent-scripts = true
eggs =
     mypetproject
initialization =
     import paste.script.command
     paste.script.command.system_plugins.append('mypetproject')

That will add some code to generated console scripts to add the missing
paster plugins. I think Florian came up with this trick.

Wichert.

--
Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net>   It is simple to make things.
http://www.wiggy.net/                  It is hard to make things simple.