[Product-Developers] Re: Clearer hostout documentation?

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Mon Feb 1 14:07:38 UTC 2010

Dylan Jay wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I spent yesterday improving the explanation of how hostout can be used
> since I'm finding it more and more useful.
>
> I'd love some feedback on how to make it clearer still or ideas to
> make it better.

Very cool.  I hadn't seen it before but I can really, really, use this...

> ... [host1]
> ... recipe = collective.hostout
> ... host = 127.0.0.1:10022
> ... user = root
> ... password = root
> ... path = /usr/local/plone/host1
> ... """ % globals())
>
> If you don't include your password you will be prompted for it later.

This is just the SSH password?  Any possibility of having it run ssh-copy-id
for passwordless logins?  Also a note that many hosts ban SSH logins as root
is worthwhile, though I imagine that won't come as a surprise to many people
who are using this tool.

> password
>   The password for the login user. If not given then hostout will ask
> each time.
>
> identity-file
>   A public key for the login user.

I hope that the password prompt is given by SSH and not "hostout" - ssh
knows whether it needs a password, hostout can't know.

> Todo list
> *********
> - Automatically setup host with password-less ssh login.

Ah-hah.  I guess that answers my first question!

I can see I'll be playing with this a lot today.  Thanks Dylan.
--
derek