[Product-Developers] Running out of disk space when packing plone site

Gilles Lenfant gilles.lenfant at alterway.fr
Thu Apr 15 16:40:24 UTC 2010

Le 15 avr. 2010 à 17:32, Mark Phillips a écrit :

> I have a plone site running on Debian on a separate partition /opt. I am running out of space when I try to pack the database. When zope packs the database, does it create many temporary files? Is it possible to tell zope to use /tmp, which has lots of room, as the disk partition for packing the db? I am running plone 2.5.5

Yup,

When packing, Zope:

1: Collects the latest ZODB versions of your objects into a Data.fs.pack file
2: Wen finished it does the equivalent to :
  - mv Data.fs Data.fs.old
  - mv Data.fs.pack Data.fs

You can use any place in your system for your Data.fs. Tweak your instance/zeo server conf file accordingly (<zodb_db ...> sections)

Note that this is not a good long term solution since you'll get soon the same problem. Buy additional disk.

If you want to prevent this in the future :

- place your Zope  logs somewhere where Unix can rotate them or use "iw.rotatezlogs" if you can't.
- use the "quota" parameter in your "filestorage" to prevent going again into such situation. A FileStorageQuotaError exception is less critical than running an IOError (no space left on devide).

Cheers
--
Gilles Lenfant