[Product-Developers] Plone 4 is coming soon; it's time to update those add-on products!

Eric Steele ems174 at psu.edu
Thu Apr 15 15:30:34 UTC 2010

Plonistas,

Plone 4 beta 2 is now out.  It's the result of months of hard work by dozens of Plone developers and another step towards a brand new Plone. What we'd originally envisioned as a "boring" release is now without question the most exciting release of Plone ever: faster, more beautiful, and easier to use than ever before.  Thanks to all of you who've made it happen!

Now that we've entered the beta stage of our release cycle, our focus shifts, splits, and widens.  We need everyone -- not just core developers and framework team members -- to start testing the beta in as many routine (and not-so-routine) ways as possible, to find and document bugs, and to join the core developers in making fixes.  Fixing bugs is a great way to make your first contributions to the Plone core.

Perhaps even more importantly, it is time to focus on testing and updating add-on products for Plone 4.  Most products will require only minor changes (if any).  We've quietly made a great start on this already -- Plone 4 already had more compatible products at the beginning of the beta process than any previous Plone release!  But there is much more to do.

If you're the author of a Plone add-on product, your "to-do" list for the Plone 4 beta cycle should include:
1) Test your product against Plone 4
2) Make any necessary changes -- see http://plone.org/documentation/manual/upgrade-guide/version/upgrading-plone-3-x-to-4.0/updating-add-on-products-for-plone-4.0 for a detailed overview of the handful of minor changes you need to make -- including tips for updating themes.
3) Tag a new release of your add-on product and upload it to Plone.org.  Be sure to set its version compatibility so it shows in the search at http://plone.org/products?getCategories=&getCompatibility=Plone+4 !

Kudos to the many folks who've *already* released Plone 4 compatible versions of their popular products, including:

Steve "PloneFormGen" McMahon
David "Various Groundwire Products" Glick
David "PDFPeek" Brenneman
Ralph "Classifieds" Jacobs
Luca "custommenu.factories" Fabbri
Espen "SubSkins" Moe-Nilssen
Nathan "PloneTrueGallery" Van Gheem
Niteoweb
Roberto "Various Themes" Allende
Malthe "Collage" Borch
Manubu "c2.transform.office" Terada
Wojciech "collective.disqus" Lichota
G. "qiPortletTagClouds" Gozadinos
... and more -- see the full list at:http://plone.org/products?getCategories=&getCompatibility=Plone+4

Thanks for being out ahead of the curve!

If you're an everyday Plone user, you can help by installing Plone 4 beta 2 -- see http://plone.org/products/plone/releases/4.0, testing your favorite add-on products, and reporting bugs to the add-on products issue tracker at http://plone.org/products. If you're not already on it, the Add-on Product Developers list is a great place to discuss add-on product compatibility and updates. http://plone.org/support/forums/addons

Eric
Plone 4 Release Manager