[Product-Developers] [i18n] The i18n game

Hans-Peter Locher hans-peter.locher at inquant.de
Fri Apr 9 06:12:56 UTC 2010

Hi Espen.

We did the same thing for a Plone site
(a single egg containing custom translations for the plone domain and other domains).

We use following approach:

To customize exisiting Pone translations that live in a i18n folder:

We have a dir "i18n-overrides" in our package, this contains po files like plone-de.po
The contents of the directory are copied to each zope instance using

collective.recipe.i18noverrides

To customize translations that live in locales directories:

We import the packages we want to override translations for in zcml, before including the overrides.

For customizations we use a overrides.zcml registering the translations there.

For own custom translations:

For our own packages, we have all translation files in the locales structure, and a i18n folder inside the package.

Sounds complicated? Well it works for us.

The structure of the package is as follows:

|-- __init__.py
|-- configure.zcml
|-- i18n
|   |-- po / pot files