[Product-Developers] pas.plugins.sqlalchemy

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 21:32:14 UTC 2009

I was trying to fix pas.plugins.sqlalchemy so it would be compatible with
the existing password hashes stored in my ZODB.

Here's a pretty simple patch that might fix the problem. It uses
AccessControl.AuthEncoding, something pas.plugins.sqlalchemy indirectly
depends on anyway, to encrypt the passwords. AuthEncoding should be easy to
migrate to from pas.plugins.sqlalchemy's existing half-assed scheme. Instead
of storing the hash and the salt in separate fields, AuthEncoding stores
{SSHA}HashSalt in one field, RFC 2307 style, and can use more than one
encryption scheme. Plone uses the SSHA scheme by default.

zope.password is an equivalent to AuthEncoding that looks to have fewer
indirect dependencies.

The tests won't run for me. "python setup.py test" does not work, nor inside
a ZODB "instance shell". Could you fix up the docs to include a "running the
tests" section?

Thanks,

Daniel Holth