[Product-Developers] Re: Group Dashboard landing page

Dylan Jay djay at pretaweb.com
Mon Sep 7 15:08:48 UTC 2009

On 07/09/2009, at 10:19 PM, Martin Aspeli wrote:

> Dylan Jay wrote:
>> We're about to embark on creating a site with one main landing
>> page  that will contain grid with a lot of links and small forms
>> off to  external sites. We'd like to have this "dashboard" be
>> personalised  based on group membership such that members of group
>> A see a slightly  different set of "tiles" than group B even though
>> it's still the same  landing page.
>> At the moment I'm going to go with using
>> collective.collage.portlets
> >
>> ---------------------------------
>> + It lets me use content objects with their existing sharing
>> permissions to determine what to display
>> - UI is a little confusing
>> + Flexible enough to support several layouts.
> >
>> Just wondering if anyone can anything to my evaluation, or any
>> gotchas  I haven't thought of?
>

> Does this support per-group portlets, or do you need a collage page
> per group?

It doesn't seem to use portlets. It lets you create new content
objects into the collage or alias existing content objects from
elsewhere.
So I'm pretty sure I can do it either way.
- create content restricted to be viewed only by certain groups and
then use one collage to aggregate them.
- create many collages each restricted to a group, each referencing
the same content

>> I've also looked at
>> Inbuilt Plone personal Dashboard
>> - doesn't support group level portlets
>> + layout is ok
>
> If you install collective.groupdashboard (being merged into Plone 4)
> you can assign per-group portlets to the dashboard (including the
> AuthenticatedUsers pseudo-group).

Thanks. I'll have a look at it.

>> collective.portletpage
>> ----------------------------
>>  - just 4 slots in main content - not grid like enough.
> >
>>  - groups would each have to have their own page - no
>> personalisation  on portets themselves.
>>  + UI is easy
>
> It's not hard to add new portlet managers (slots) if you need it.
> Just use portlets.xml + a custom template that shows the new manager.
>
>> Products.ContentWellPortlets
>> - Not flexible layout. Not grid like
>
> For both this and collective.portletpage you can customise a
> template to get a different layout.

Thanks for the tip.

Is there any advantage in using one of the portlet based methods over
collage/content I'm missing though?