[Product-Developers] Re: Questions regarding GS upgradeStep

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Sat Sep 5 10:48:16 UTC 2009

Francois Barriere, on 2009-09-04:
> Hello,
>
>    In my product I have added new lines to the diff_tool.xml file
> (under profiles/default), plus some fixes. I then registered an
> upgradeStep with the following configure.zcml snippet:
>
> 	<gs:upgradeStep
> 		title="Upgrade ATMEL.policy product"
> 		description="ATMEL.policy product migration/upgrade steps"
> 		source="*"
> 		destination="0.3"
> 		handler=".migrations.migration_to_0_3"
> 		sortkey="1"
> 		profile="ATMEL.policy:default"/>
>
> The source is "*" as there was no previous upgrade step, I have a handler that
> does various fixes using Python code and defined the profile.
>
> When upgrading the Python code is executed by the regular import steps are
> not (the changes in profles/default/diff_tool.xml) are not reflected.
> I thought the upgrade would re-run the import steps of the profile...

No.  One of the goals up upgrade steps is to have a means to *avoid*
having to apply the complete profile, as that can have unwanted side
effects.  Probably the best known example is the catalog.xml: if you
specify an index there, then this index will be empty after applying
the profile (or just this import step), even when it already existed.

> Am I wrong? Should I force the import step from my Python code?
> In this case, what is the use of the "profile" attibute of the
> upgradeStep?

The profile attribute marks this upgrade step as being an upgrade for
the ATMEL.policy:default profile and not for say the Products.Poi
profile.

If you want to reapply the complete profile in an upgrade step, you
can do that like this:

def applyProfile(context):
    # In an upgrade step context is portal_setup
    context.runAllImportStepsFromProfile(PROFILE_ID)

In you case PROFILE_ID is probably profile-ATMEL.policy:default.

To apply just one import step, do something like this; this is taken
from Products.Poi:

def run_workflow_step(context):
    context.runImportStepFromProfile(PROFILE_ID, 'catalog')
    # Run the update security on the workflow tool.
    logger.info('Updating security settings.  This may take a while...')
    wf_tool = getToolByName(context, 'portal_workflow')
    wf_tool.updateRoleMappings()
    logger.info('Done updating security settings.')

BTW, this post of mine to the CMF mailing list with some notes about
which source and destination numbers to use may be of interest:

http://www.mail-archive.com/zope-cmf@lists.zope.org/msg06107.html

Specifying source="*" like you do will always make this step available
on the Upgrades tab of portal_setup, even right after you have run
it.  At least that is the case with Plone 3.0-3.3.

Plus, not shown in that post, it is conceptually better to just use
integers as the source and destination number.  metadata.xml and
version.txt need not have anything in common.  I would say:

- set metadata.xml on 3
- use source="2"
- use destination="3"

It may be good to play around with these numbers and see what happens
in the UI.

Cheers,

            Work | http://zestsoftware.nl/