[Product-Developers] Re: A question regarding the definition.xml for a workflow

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 12:44:18 UTC 2009

Françoise Conil wrote:
> The following information make me doubt about the possibility to
> modify an existing workflow (but I did not read all the documentation
> again) :
>
>     http://plone.org/documentation/tutorial/genericsetup/the-setup-tool
>
>     Listen: the import steps that a profile registers are additive.
> That means that whenever you select a new profile as the active
> configuration, any new import steps are ADDed to the set of already
> registered import steps.

That's got nothing to do with this. It's still the same "workflow tool"
import step, it's just operating on a different context (your own
workflows.xml in this case).

It's the same for all steps. You can modify (with an extension profile)
an FTI in portal types via types.xml + types/typename.xml. If you
specify a subset of properties, those are updated, but others are kept
the same. Same with propertiestool.xml: you don't wipe the
portal_properties tool by using your own propertiestool.xml, unless
you're running a base profile (which most people aren't).

> Creating a new workflow is probably the best thing to do.

Yes, but not for the reasons you mention. :)

Martin