[Product-Developers] Feedback about LDAP

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Wed May 27 14:28:29 UTC 2009

Previously Jean-Michel FRANCOIS wrote:
> Wichert Akkerman a écrit :
> > Previously Jean-Michel FRANCOIS wrote:
> >
> >> I need to know how you are using OpenLDAP with the Zope transaction
> >> manager. Because OpenLDAP has no transaction, How do you abort Zope
> >> transaction ? RDBMS  are well integrated in the zope transaction, but i
> >> don't find anything on the same for OpenLDAP.
> >>

> > LDAP operations in Plone are not transaction aware. If you want to do
> > that you would have to queue any writes and commit them when the
> > transaction is being commited. I haven't looked into it, but I suspect
> > it will not be too difficult to implement.
> >
> > Wichert.
> >

> Thank you Wichert for your answer.
>
> The only transaction manager code i have red was from MaildropHost. It
> doesn't seems too difficult except in one use case for OpenLDAP:
>
> Transaction Start
> Adding some entries in the ldap
> Query entries
> End of the transaction
>
> You will not have entries as result of your query because they are not
> already register.

That's true. I suspect that most of the time that does not matter since
you rarely need to query for values you change in the same request. In
cases where you do you can usually implement a workaround by breaking
the operation in two steps and commiting the transaction in between,
either manually or by invoking a new request with a HTTP redirect.

Wichert.