[Product-Developers] Re: Wrong available version shown in portal_quickinstaller in moved Plone install

Alexander Limi limi at plone.org
Tue May 19 22:06:56 UTC 2009

On Tue, 19 May 2009 05:54:40 -0700, Wichert Akkerman
<wichert at wiggy.net> wrote:

> As of Plone 3.3 you only have two versions: the package version as
> defined in setup.py (with a fallback to version.txt for old-style
> products that are not shipped as packages) and the profile version in
> metadata.xml. There was a big discussion about the relevance of having
> separate versions for the code and the configuration on the
> plone-developers list. If you are interested in the rational I'ld
> encourage you to browse through the mailinglist archives.

My suggestion would be to encourage all product authors to switch their
profile numbering scheme to something that doesn't look like the product
version number, starting with their next release.

Examples of how this would work:

setup.py versions: 1.0 -> 1.1 -> 1.2 -> 2.0, etc.
metadata.xml versions: 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4, etc.

This makes it very clear that the two aren't directly related — and as
Wichert points out, there are cases where you want them to be independent.

Remember, people copy the code they see, so being consistent other use is
a big deal.

If we use the profile version numbers in Plone code in this way (and I'm
pretty sure we do), we should ensure we update it too.

--
Alexander Limi · http://limi.net