[Product-Developers] Help identify Plone's API

Mikko Ohtamaa mikko+plone at redinnovation.com
Sun May 17 16:51:58 UTC 2009

> As an end goal, I'd like us to extend and refactor the "Manipulating Plone
> Objects Programmatically" tutorial[1] into a more hierarchically structured
> reference manual that covers the most common tasks. Some tasks may require
> references to other tutorials (e.g. the Archetypes tutorial), but at least
> it's a starting point and a place to collate future APIs as well.
>
> The current groupings and lists of APIs can be found here:
>
>  http://www.mindmeister.com/maps/show/21419197

Is it just my, but I can't get the link open even after registering myself
to mindmeister (gives me my dashboard page)?

In any case here is the old discussion from docs list from while ago:

http://www.openplans.org/projects/plone-documentation/list-of-manuals

Note that API does not only include Python API, but all templates and CSS
classes are basically undocumented. There already exist javadocs like CSS
documentation frameworks. But as long as it takes <tal:comment
replace="nothing"> </tal:comment> overhead to write a comment in TAL we have
little hope that anyone could ever bother to write comments there.

<http://www.mindmeister.com/maps/show/21419197>
>  - any APIs that you use regularly that are not captured

>   - any APIs that you use regularly that you hate (whether on the list or
> not)

PloneTestCase has too less functionality out of the box and you have to
reinvent the functionality for every test case/product - also it has tons of
partially documented boiler plate code which is very fragile and does not
give meaningful error results.

PTC could have functions e.g. for:

- Automatic product/package/layer/whatever initialization without
boilerplate

 - MailHost mocking

- Sane error output for functional tests

- Security testing (test code executed under RestrictedPython)

Hope this inspires thoughts.

> Missing APIs...

How to register and manipulate Z3 registeries (adapters, subscribers,
viewlets, views) from Python in Plone context. Five/site awarness/etc. adds
extra complexity for this and Zope 3 documents cannot be applied for Plone
as is. Basically all can be done with magic multi adapter queries as long as
you would know the parameter list and the right site(?) to call.

-Mikko