[Product-Developers] Aquiring objects with TAL

Joe C plonedev at chryst.net
Sat May 2 16:50:16 UTC 2009

Hi,

Just a bit a background.  I am new to Plone and I am going to convert our
school web site to use Plone for delivery.  Seems like the best tool for the
job!  I do not have Python experience but I have programmed in several other
languages.

I am using Plone 3.2.1.  My over all goal is to have an "Alert" viewlet that
will be displayed under the plone.global_sections.  I have managed to get
the viewlet to display static content, now I need to display the contents of
a folder.  I have create a folder under the Plone root named "Alerts".  In
that folder I have added some paged that will serve as the alerts.  The page
description will be the alert and will link to the page for further
information.

At this point I am using a page template without a class.  I am guessing
that I will have to make this into a class inthe future.  But for now I just
need to understand how to access the items in the Alerts folder.  I have
looked at the Plone documentation and it refers content such as
"template/title" and such.  What I have not found is how to address a
specific folder's content directly.

How do I find the items in the Alerts folder?  Once I can find that I can
iterate over the items to get their attributes such as "Description".

Thanks for any help, advice or direction.

Joe C