[Product-Developers] Purge Varnish cache from control panel

Ricardo Newbery ric at digitalmarbles.com
Tue Mar 31 10:17:15 UTC 2009

On Mar 31, 2009, at 2:48 AM, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Espen Moe-Nilssen wrote:
>> This is not really something I know a lot about, but I thought
>> CacheFu is where/what you should look at:
>>
>> /portal_cache_settings
>>

>> gives med the option to clear the cache.
>>
>> I thinkt this works quite OK (although I have only used it with
>> squid)
>
> It is also vastly inefficient: varnish allows you to expire the entire
> cache using a single command which takes not time at all to complete.
> The portal_cache_settings option iterates over all objects in your
> site
> and generates PURGE requests for all views of all objects. As you can
> imagine that is a very, possibly extremely, slow operation.
>
> Wichert.

I'm confused.  What are people talking about?

The only "purge" options available in CacheFu at the present time are
the individual purges that occur during content object edits and the
PageCache purge.  The first is a very limited purge of the caching
proxy.  The second doesn't touch the caching proxy at all.

Ric