[Product-Developers] hidden description in event object

John DeStefano john.destefano at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 14:15:46 UTC 2009

I have a custom object type, based on ATEvent, which includes a
'Description' field:
  copied_fields['description'] = ATEvent.schema['description'].copy()
  copied_fields['description'].widget.description = "A brief
description  ... "
  copied_fields['description'].widget.description_msgid =
"description_announcement_description"
  copied_fields['description'].widget.rows = 2
  copied_fields['description'].required = 1
  copied_fields['description'].searchable = 1

This Description shows up in the creation form, in the email version
of the object, and even gets displayed on-hover on events in the
calendar, but it is not displayed in the object itself after creation
(which also means it can't be edited).  Trying to "un-hide" it in the
schema doesn't seem to help:
  copied_fields['description'].visible = {'view': 'visible', 'edit':
'visible'},

In the subscriber, I had to convert the Description to UTF-8 in order
to keep it from displaying garbage characters in the email version:
    rawDescription = obj.Description().encode('utf-8')
    msg += "Description: " + "\n" + rawDescription + "\n\n"

How can I get the Description to be visible in the actual object?

Additional code, if needed:
http://deesto.pastebin.com/f166dd6d6
http://deesto.pastebin.com/f1e48b52c

Thanks,