[Product-Developers] languageIndependent fields not updated

Philip Bauer philip at starzel.de
Thu Mar 5 15:14:34 UTC 2009

Hi all,

i have a problem with languageIndependent fields.
My ContentType "staffmember" has a

the value of languageIdependent fields is not changed after the
canonical field is changed.

I have a ContentType called StaffMember and for example an StringField
'email'

     atapi.StringField(
         name='email',
         required=False,
         searchable=False,
         languageIndependent=True,
         validators = ('isEmail',),
         storage=atapi.AnnotationStorage(),
         widget=atapi.StringWidget(
             label=_(u"Email"),
             label_msgid='staffmember_label_email',
             description=_(u""),
             description_msgid='staffmember_help_email',
         ),
     ),

Since email doesn't change when translating (compared to jobTitle or
such) it's marked as langageIndependent.
When I translate that person, the 'email'-value of the canonical
version is kept - so far so good.
But when I change the value in the canoical version after translating
(imagine this persons email changed because he changed his department)
the original value is kept in the translated version - with no chance
for me to override or sync it again.
As far as i see this only happens to text- and stringfields, files and
images are not affected.

Am i missing something or is it a bug?

I use:
Plone 3.2.1
Zope (Zope 2.10.6-final, python 2.4.4, darwin)
Python 2.4.4
LinguaPlone 2.4
Archetypes 1.5.10-dev
ATVocabularyManager 1.5-alpha