[Product-Developers] PLIP submission for Plone 4 is now open

Matthew Wilkes matt at matthewwilkes.name
Tue Jun 9 23:36:05 UTC 2009

Hello all!

The eagle-eyed amongst you will have spotted this on plone.org, but
for those who haven't…

I'm happy to announce on behalf of the Plone 4 Framework Team that we
are now considering community proposals for substantive improvements
to Plone.

What is a PLIP?
===============

A Plone Improvement Proposal, or PLIP, is a detailed description of an
improvement to Plone that goes above and beyond a normal bug fix.
Changes that significantly alter backwards compatibility, visuals or
APIs are only permitted as PLIPs for a major release; any such
proposal not entered in this round would have to wait until Plone 5 in
order to be considered.  Anyone can submit a PLIP but you should only
submit a PLIP if you intend to either do the work yourself or take
responsibility for finding people who will.

Plone 4 is intended to be an intermediate release between the very
stable Plone 3 and more experimental improvements planned to become
available within the next few years.  The primary focus is on bringing
Plone up-to-date with newer technologies while making the platform
easier to use for integrators and end-users.  Although the release
schedule is not yet fixed, the final version is likely to be released
at the end of this year.

How do I get started?
=====================

Submissions are open as of now, and will remain open until 0700 UTC on
the 20th of June, 2009.  PLIPs for Plone 4 should be submitted to https://dev.plone.org/plone/newticket
  with the ticket type set to "PLIP". Any PLIPs submitted to the old
system on plone.org should be resubmitted to the new location for
consideration.

Once you finish writing your proposal, set the milestone to "4.0" so
the team knows to give you feedback.  Once the submission deadline
passes, the Framework Team will vote on the submissions and set an
implementation deadline.  A feature can only be included in Plone 4 if
both the proposal and implementation are approved by the framework team.

A PLIP should include information on why a change is important, how it
will be achieved, and an analysis of any downsides to it being
adopted.  The standard format can be seen in previous PLIPs, such as http://plone.org/products/plone/roadmap/253
.

We're all very excited by this process, it's a chance to improve the
system that we all work with.  I hope you all consider submitting
PLIPs, feel free to email plone-developers or stop by #plone-framework
on IRC if you need help or want to discuss something in advance.

Matt