[Product-Developers] External content framework for Plone
mikko+plone at redinnovation.com
Fri Jun 5 12:02:37 UTC 2009
I am facing a (common?) problem that I need to embed content from external
sources to Plone site.
I have divided this problem to three subproblems:
- Knowing what external content is available (query)
- Traversing content on Plone site and indexing it to Plone search indices
(mounting content to some point of Plone site)
- Adding references to external content from normal Archetypes objects
I have been working with PloneLocalFolderNG long time ago. Now I read
through Reflecto sources for inspiration. I have tried come up with generic
framework (collective.externalcontent) which allows you to use this system
to present various content on your Plone site. Possible use cases are
- Exposing content from OpenSearch based search results
- Exposing file system files (however, Reflecto already does this
- Exposing Sphinx documentation
- Exposing content from another HTTP site. External content is HTML parsed
back to structure and then re-rendered and indexed in Plone
- Data from proprietary reservation or CRM service
As an example I have created two UML class diagram sketches:
I assume there are people who faced this problem before. I hope to get some
feedback before starting writing code.
Especially, I am interested how to create "fake" folders on Plone site
properly, so that breadcrumbs match the structure of the external content.
View this message in context: http://n2.nabble.com/External-content-framework-for-Plone-tp3029827p3029827.html
Sent from the Product Developers mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
More information about the Product-Developers