[Product-Developers] Re: Google Wave and Plone

Jon Stahl jon at onenw.org
Tue Jun 2 15:45:38 UTC 2009

> Andreas Jung wrote:
> > On 01.06.09 11:16, James Purser wrote:
> >> Now that Google has announced Wave. is anyone having a look at what
> it
> >> could bring to plone in terms of Collaborative capabilities?
> >>
> >> I know it's only been announced, but I think it's certainly
> something to
> >> look into.
> > It's worth to look into as soon as it becomes alive. Until then
> Google Wave
> > is vaporware and one must not discuss about it :-)
>
> Whether it's vaporware or not:
>
>    http://code.google.com/apis/wave/samples/
>
> provides a couple of pointers on where this is heading.
>
> But I agree it is a bit too early to work on integrating something
> that's still floating (API wise) and non-public.
>
> For the high-level considerations - like: is this interesting? -
> I won't stop those who have fun with that ...

Indeed, Andreas, I think this kind of "stop energy" is inappropriate and
not very constructive.

Google Wave may well turn out to be another Orkut, or it could be the
kind of radical innovation that Plone would do well to figure out how to
integrate with.   We'll only find out by exploring and experimenting,
and that starts with discussing.

:jon