[Product-Developers] Need Help Configuring Zope Behind Apache

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Tue Jul 28 04:19:10 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 7:57 PM, Ricardo Newbery <ric at digitalmarbles.com>wrote:

> On Jul 27, 2009, at 7:39 PM, Mark Phillips wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 7:33 PM, Mark Phillips <
>> mark at phillipsmarketing.biz> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 7:16 PM, Ricardo Newbery <ric at digitalmarbles.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 27, 2009, at 6:47 PM, Mark Phillips wrote:
>>
>> I am having a terrible time trying to get my zope server to work behind
>> apache 2.2.9. I am running an Debian server with plone 2.5.5.
>>
>>  [...]
>>
>>   RewriteEngine on
>>
>>   # use RewriteLog to debug problems with your rewrite rules
>>   # disable it after you found the error our your harddisk will be filled
>> *very fast*
>>   RewriteLog "/var/log/apache2/rewrite_log"
>>   RewriteLogLevel 3
>>
>>   RewriteRule ^/(.*) \
>>       http://127.0.0.1:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/%{SERVER_NAME}:80/<http://127.0.0.1:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/%%7BSERVER_NAME%7D%3A80/>ahs/newspaper/VirtualHostRoot/$1
>> [L,P]
>>
>>   ProxyRequests On
>>
>>   <Proxy *>
>>     Order Deny,Allow
>>     Deny from All
>>     Allow from ahsnews.com
>>   </Proxy>
>>

>> "ProxyRequests On" makes your Apache a forward proxy.  You want a simple
>> reverse proxy.  Dump that line and the following Proxy block.
>>
>> Ric
>>

>> Ric,
>>
>> Thanks...I did what you suggested, but I still get the dreaded 403 error
>> and no access to my site. Any other thoughts?
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>
>> Mark
>> oops...forgoet to copy the plone developers list. Also, some further
>> information - here is the error from the apache logs:
>>
>> [Mon Jul 27 19:37:18 2009] [error] [client 68.231.182.244] client denied
>> by server configuration: proxy:
>> http://127.0.0.1:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/ahsnews.com:80/ahs/newspaper/VirtualHostRoot/
>>
>> The server is remote, and the client (68.231.182.244) is the computer on
>> my desk.
>>
>> Mark
>>

> You sure you deleted the Proxy block?  I've heard that some Apache installs
> show anomalous default proxy behavior.  You can try forcing the proper
> default:
>
> <Proxy *>
>  Order Deny,Allow
>  Allow from all
> </Proxy>
>
> Also check the rest of the config for any other proxy directives that might
> be overriding the default behavior.
>
> Ric
>
> This is my entire config file:

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName ahsnews.com
    ServerAlias www.ahsnews.com
    ServerAdmin webmaster at ahsnews.com
    ServerSignature on

    CustomLog     "|/usr/sbin/rotatelogs /var/log/apache2/
ahsnews.com/ahsnews.com-access.log 86400" combined
    ErrorLog      "|/usr/sbin/rotatelogs /var/log/apache2/
ahsnews.com/ahsnews.com-error.log 86400"
    LogLevel debug

    RewriteEngine on

    # use RewriteLog to debug problems with your rewrite rules
    # disable it after you found the error our your harddisk will be filled
*very fast*
    RewriteLog "/var/log/apache2/rewrite_log"
    RewriteLogLevel 3

    RewriteRule ^/(.*) \

http://127.0.0.1:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/%{SERVER_NAME}:80/ahs/newspaper/VirtualHostRoot/$1[L,P]

</VirtualHost>

And I still got error 403. I added the stanza:

<Proxy *>
 Order Deny,Allow
 Allow from all
</Proxy>

and I now can get to my plone site. However, doesn't that <Proxy *> make may
server an open proxy for everyone to use?

Mark