[Product-Developers] Archetype/Dynamic URL?

David Bain david.bain at alteroo.com
Thu Jul 2 19:18:22 UTC 2009

Aprilz,
It is evident that you found Plone difficult to approach, but you persisted
enough to find a way around the issue. (I may have completely misunderstood
what you're saying, so please feel free to correct me on that first
statement). One of the goals of Plone 4 is to make it more approachable. We
certainly wouldn't want persons to run away screaming for any of the reasons
you have mentioned.

You mentioned:
1. speed (too slow)
2. too complex (things in too many places)
3. secretive and proud community (this hasn't been my experience, so I'm
definitely surprised about that one)
4. The most prominent manual (Professional Plone Development) is not in
depth enough (again, this hasn't been my experience, but I respect your
perspective).

Hope I got that right.

Do you have suggestions from your experience as to what would make Plone
more approachable for you?

Also, was there anything positive that you'd say was a valuable?

BTW, if I understand you correctly you eventually did most of the "work" in
a python class, instead of leaking business logic into page templates, if
this is correct, then you did the right thing.

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Aprilz <aprilz21 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I completed the task by simply making it directory?id=xxx and getting the
> querystring using self.REQUEST, and did all the functions in one single
> directory class. And all the html tables for displaying are also dumped
> into
> the python class. ZPT stuff seems to too inflexible. Maybe I should have
> added a dummy user class to make the url look better.
>
> Thanks guys for the response.
>
> Saw the "Professional Plone Development" sometime ago, but it's just basics
> as usual.
> Nothing on dynamic URL or something. Maybe Plone doesn't support it?
> No one has ever done "/xxx/id_number_or_attribute_value" with Plone?
>
> ---
> I did use paster for skeleton. But then I was just stuck with just a
> skeleton and flesh was hard to find. Haha. Too many useless folders and
> namespaces things that I removed.
>
> It was just a simple application, and registering everything was ok. Just
> no
> solution for the url question yet. Will archgenxml manipulate urls?
>
> "If you mean "I want to do it the php way", it does not work, there are no
> .php pages to fill the code in."
>
> Yes, we know how simple and awesome php is. But I hadn't meant anything
> close to that :)
>
> Sometimes life doesn't give you lemons (assuming lemon is something you'd
> want), and I am flexible with nightmarish stuff.
> Take java - confusing xml configurations in multiple files in multiple
> locations, gazillion folder levels and cryptic error messages (just like
> Plone). But it is much easier to search solutions and tutorials online. And
> way less imports for every little function. Less of a nightmare with
> netbeans/eclipse.
>
> Plone is so complex even the plain vanilla install loads... so... very...
> slow. Zzz... Create new product add-on? Nooooo...
>
> I feel that Plone has a slightly more secretive and proud community. Like
> they think Plone owns all or something!
> (An example statement quoted above. And so does the expensive Plone
> consultant, who still got stuck with many of its problems.)
> Or maybe just Plone is still young...

SplashStart - Professional Websites. Starting Now.
http://www.splashstart.com