[Product-Developers] Re: The most efficient way to store 270 AT fields?

Alexander Limi limi at plone.org
Mon Jan 5 13:03:58 UTC 2009

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 04:18:12 -0800, Mikko Ohtamaa
<mikko+plone at redinnovation.com> wrote:

> We are facing a problem where we need to store 270 fields per item. The
> fields are laboratory measurements of a patient - 40 measurement values
> for
> 7 timepoint. The fields need to be accessed per timepoint, per
> measurement
> and all fields for one patient once. There will be over 10000 patients,
> distributed under different hospital items (tree-like, for permission
> reasons). Data is not accessed for two patients at once, so we don't
> need to
> scale the catalog.
> So I am curious about how we make Plone scale well for this scenario.

Since your needs are rather extreme, you have a few options — Andreas'
advice on splitting up the objects is probably a good idea.

I'd also urge you to check out Dexterity — although still experimental,
it's much, much faster and less CPU/memory-hungry than AT. From what I
have seen of your skills, you'd probably be fine with its current state,
and help test a future part of Plone. :)

--
Alexander Limi · http://limi.net