[Product-Developers] open remote session from an apache server

cewing cewing at u.washington.edu
Wed Dec 16 16:08:14 UTC 2009

gostbuster wrote:

> Hi everybody, i'm a french new user, and I'm in trouble with a special
> problem.
>
> I have a Zope server with the adresse http://serveurplone.fr (that's for
> the example).
> On the other side, I have a apache web server with an application which
> allows users to connect and have a profile.
> users and passes are the same for both applications.
>
> On the apache web application, i want to display a private rss feed from
> plone (items depend on the user).
>
> There is not problem with it:I can do a HTTP request with the good header
> (Cookie:ac=........), and i receive the good items according to the user.
>
> Now, it's more complicated:
>
> When the feed is displayed, I can click on an Item to get the plone page
> (html link).Unfortunately, even if I got the good feed for the user, I
> didn't open a plone session !
>
> I would like to open a plone session FROM the apache server (they are from
> different domains).
>
> I tried, using PHP to open the page :http://serveurplone.fr/login_form,
> and with a HTTP request i give good POST variable. Doin' it, when i
> display the response result, I get the HTML page code, and I can the
> user's information inside the code. But the session is not open because
> when I click on an item link, i go to the login page with
> credential_cookie in the url...
>
> I'm guessing that using PHP to create the HTTP Request, the page
> login_form doesn't create the cookie for authentification...
>
> Do someone has an idéa?
> Thank you in advance.

Have you tried the WebServerAuth package?  It allows you to handle authn
(authentication) via a front-end server like apache and simply pass a user
id back to plone.  Plone trusts that apache has correctly authenticated the
user and behaves as if they have logged in.  It's generally used to
implement single-sign-on, but sounds like it might meet your needs.

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Products.WebServerAuth/1.5

HTH