[Product-Developers] better than license include other package

Matthew Wilkes matt at matthewwilkes.name
Wed Dec 16 09:27:01 UTC 2009

On 2009-12-16, at 0920, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Might I suggest that you use arguments from people who have a real
> legal knowledge instead? Places like groklaw, gpl-violations.org,
> the various FSF and related organisations, etc.

This is one of those threads that everyone enjoys arguing in but never
goes anywhere.  Might I suggest that if this matters to your business
you consult legal advice, otherwise check what products you depend on
and use the least permissive licence they have is a good rule of
thumb.  People are /usually/ happy to settle for GPL, so it's a nice
default.

If somebody has a problem with it they'll tell you, but if you've
actually read the licences and FAQs, etc that will likely never
happen.  This kind of conversation is better suited to a bar at
conference than a mailing list.

Matt