[Product-Developers] better than license include other package

Mikko Ohtamaa mikko+plone at redinnovation.com
Wed Dec 16 09:16:40 UTC 2009

>> http://www.devspace.com/?p=10
>
> That page is about something completely different. Also note that the MySQL
> library is not a pure GPL but has a special exception clause redefines
> derived works, so that does not apply here either.

That's why I stated they are "almost" similar cases... if the plug-in
API argument is tested somewhere then of course it would make it a
precedence. I hope someone could point such a precedence. Even in that
case it would just apply in certain, common law country.

Meanwhile, the world continues to be not black and white, but grey,
outside Plone too:

http://www.webmaster-source.com/2009/01/29/why-theyre-wrong-wordpress-plugins-shouldnt-have-to-be-gpl/

"Must be GPL" argument is strong, but it is only one interpretation.
Though it would be wise to follow "GPL it" advice as I expect FSF to
sue someone about this sooner or later.

-Mikko