[Product-Developers] better than license include other package

Mikko Ohtamaa mikko+plone at redinnovation.com
Wed Dec 16 08:40:09 UTC 2009

> The GPL has had many victories in courts in multiple countries.

AFAIK regarding API there is almost similar precedence which do not
favor "using API makes it GPL" position:

http://www.devspace.com/?p=10

So "standard API" is not GPL'ed at least in some court. How standard
is Plone API?

SCO also claimed Linux breaches copyright because it had similar C
header files... didn't work out. It was standard API.

I belive the orignality of Plone API is not court tested, so saying
"Plone add-ons must be GPL"  is a little misleading statement. Using a
common sense, I really don't see how few import statements would be so
special that they count as a creative work.

-Mikko

--
Mikko Ohtamaa
Managing director, Red Innovation Ltd.