[Product-Developers] PIL error when using effective-user on Ubuntu Hardy

Guido Stevens guido.stevens at cosent.net
Mon Aug 31 20:14:18 UTC 2009

Mikko Ohtamaa wrote:

>     Starting Plone via 'bin/instance fg' as a normal unprivileged user
>     works just fine. However, switching to production mode (chowning
>     parts+var to www-data, starting as root, effective-user=www-data)
>     gives a strange exception on PIL:
>
>     ImportError: No module named misc.lock_file
>

> This is just a guess, but could buildout featch, compile and store a
> custom PIL somewhere where effective-user does not have access
> (/root/.buildoutcache)?

Nope, the error persists if I make the eggs cache read/write for www-data.

> Ubuntu might try to fall back to different,
> system wide PIL version, which is incompatible version.

Wow. The backtrace rendered contains code snippets which aren't even
present in PIL. It looks more like this error generates from
parts/zope2/lib/python/Zope2/Startup.

Will dive into this deeper tomorrow.
--
***   Guido A.J. Stevens        ***   tel: +31.43.3618933    ***
***   guido.stevens at cosent.nl   ***   Postbus 619            ***

             s h a r i n g    m a k e s    s e n s e