[Product-Developers] browserlayer bug in Plone 3.3

Silvio silviot at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 14:42:14 UTC 2009

Hi,
I recently tried Plone 3.3, and it seemd to break some assumptions I made.
I customized some views and viewlets from a third party product defining a
browserlayer.
In Plone 3.3 (since rc2: rc1 works) I have an unespected behaviour in the
following scenario:
I have installed a custom skin (with a skins.xml)
I am customizing a browser view, say "manage-portlets", only for my layer.
so my zcml looks like
    <browser:page
        for="plone.portlets.interfaces.ILocalPortletAssignable"
        class="plone.app.portlets.browser.manage.ManageContextualPortlets"
        permission="plone.app.portlets.ManagePortlets"
        name="manage-portlets"
        template="template.pt"
        layer=".interfaces.IProductSpecific"
        />
to override the template and use my template.pt.
But in Plone 3.3rc2 and above after installing the product, instead of my
template.pt, I still see the Plone one.
Same goes with viewlets.
This only happens when a custom third party skin is installed.
I filed a ticket at https://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/9421 but I don'have
the confidence to mark it as "blocker" myself.
It could also be I'm making a big mistake in some registrations, but I
really checked many times.
Can someone with better insight review the ticket?

        Silvio