[Product-Developers] Complex Forms in Plone, which technologies to use: z3cform, CMFForm, ... ?

Jean-Michel FRANCOIS jeanmichel.francois at makina-corpus.com
Wed Aug 12 07:34:30 UTC 2009

Dylan Jay a écrit :

> On 12/08/2009, at 1:11 AM, Jean-Michel FRANCOIS wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need to make a complex form this week. I need to do the same form as
>> the contact advanced search inside thunderbird. For those who doesn't
>> know it here is a screen shot:
>> http://nsit.uchicago.edu/img/email/tbird-advanced-search.png
>>
>> The form is built by the user. He can add form fields define 'where' to
>> search, ...
>
> Do you mean that you want an admin user to be able to change the
> schema (fields) through a web UI?
> If so I don't think z3cform is for you. That is purely a code based
> way setting up a form.
> You want PloneFormGen if you want a to email the result or store the
> information in a simple table. Otherwise I believe dexterity has a TTW
> schema editing interface right? or at least planned to.
>

>> My question is:
>> * Could I use z3cform to do this ? I have tried it but I need to define
>> a schema. But in my case, I don't know the schema ... it seems not the
>> good way
>> * CMF FormController. I know how to do it with this technology, but it
>> seems very old and I want my product to be fashionned and have a good
>> future.
>> * By hand ? Coding every things and do not use any other technologies
>> than browserview.
>> * Any other idea ?
>>
>> --
>> Cordialement,
>> Jean-Michel FRANCOIS
>> Makina-Corpus

No. I mean the user build the form. He is able to add or remove form
field. What is a form field in this case: It is a set containing those
things:

A select input with all indexes as options.
A select input with constraints as options.
An input type text where the user put the value he wants to search for.

The UI give the user the ability to add/remove as many form field as he
wants throw two buttons: 'more' and 'fewer'.

But you have answered at one question: z3cform seems not appropriate. It
is better for 'static' forms.

--
Cordialement,
Jean-Michel FRANCOIS