[Product-Developers] WAP developments? Anybody?

Russ Ferriday russf at topia.com
Fri Sep 19 17:32:56 UTC 2008

I've been chatting a bit to Hedley Roos of Upfront Systems.  Upfront
created PloneWurfl and are using it successfully. It's not up to Plone
3.x yet, but probably will be soon.

A client of mine is considering a project that caters to WAP as well
as Web.  I'm interested whether anyone other than Upfront has done
much work in this area. When I asked folks at the DZUG meeting in
Saarbrucken, last week, the response was negative. Is this due to
small sample size, or does hardly anyone care about WAP?  Wapple in
the UK seems to be making some busines out of WAP, so it's not dead yet.

As I see it, the state of the art in Plone is that PloneWurfl keep
Plone synchronized to the Wurfle device database. Using the device
string from the request as key, on can interrogate the database and
determine if the UI is card based, has a browser, etc. One creates
templates than can adapt themselves to the limited resources on a
device. One can imagine templates that add optional navigation
elements, or viewlet/portlet features, depending on resolution and
screen capability. Images sizes may vary, and fonts may differ. Of
course, these templates will be custom developed for the application
one is developing.

Best wishes,

--r.
Russ Ferriday - Topia Systems - Open Source content management with
Plone and Zope
russf at topia.com - office: +44 2076 1777588 - mobile: +44 7789 338868 -
skype: ferriday